Welcome to the South East Simon Community Shop page where we ask our donors and supporters to donate quality items to our shop that we can re-use and re-cycle! We can then stock our shop with quality goods. Remember, not only are you getting value for money when you shop in “The Open Door”, but the money you pay goes directly to South East Simon Community services, so we can continue our work with people experiencing homelessness in the South East.
41 Michael Street
Ph: 051 311155
Opening Hours: Mon – Sat 10 – 5.30pm
How You Can Help
“Your unwanted items may be someone else’s treasures”. Did you know that while 75% of women apparently have 14 items of clothing that never see the light of day – worth a collective €70bn – charity shops still report a lack of quality in the donations they receive! We need all of those clothes you bought on impulse and can’t return, the unwanted birthday and Christmas gift sets and the clocks, mirrors and other household items that no longer go with the décor of your home!
Benefits of Reuse, Recycle!
There are many environmental benefits of reuse, recycle. Shopping in and donating to the South East Simon Community Charity Shop, “The Open Door” means customers have a low carbon footprint. Reusing goods such as textiles and books prevents them from being sent to landfill: instead, they can be sold on to raise money for homeless services.
Did You Know?
“In 2005 Irish charity shops ensured that more than 10,000 tons of clothes, shoes and household textiles, which would otherwise have been dumped in landfill, were either reused or recycled. This is equivalent of 1000 40-foot containers. More than 80% of the items were reused; the balance was recycled either as re-carded wool or cotton or as insulation and padding in the motor industry.
Donors and supporters are able to help the people we work with everyday by donating and helping us raise money – feel good while you de-clutter your life! South East Simon Community gains both stock and the chance to take our message to a new audience, while being good to the environment! Plus, you also get to shop at recession busting prices for that something different…
So Please, Give an Item that Can Be Resold to Our Shops!
You Can Donate the Following Quality Items
Men’s, women’s and children’s clothing:
- Suits, Shirts, Jackets and trousers
- Dresses, Skirts, Blouses and tops
- Jumpers, cardigans, and Coats
- Jeans, shorts, leggings and tracksuits
- Unused underwear
- Nightwear, shoes and runners
- Wedding Dresses, Bridesmaid Dresses, Flower girl dresses/Pageboy suit
- Groomsmen suits
- Unwanted/unused wedding gifts, Wedding accessories – tiaras, veils, keepsakes
- Sun dresses, hats and sunglasses
- Beach bags, beach towels and sandals, Bikinis, sarongs and wraps
- Handbags, Jewellery, belts, hats, scarves, gloves
- Crockery, pictures, ornaments, clocks, vases, frames, table wear, glasses
- Linen, Duvet covers, Pillow cases, sheets, throws, curtains
- Toys, books and more books
- Coffee tables, bedside lockers, bookcases, desks, chairs, stools, mirrors
We Can NOT Accept the Following Items
- Electrical Items i.e. TVs, radios, computers, irons, hairdryers etc (This is for health & safety reasons)
- Large items of Furniture i.e. sofas, wardrobes, – (Due to the size of our shops and lack of storage space we are unable to accept large items of furniture)
- Cosmetics/Make-up/Body creams etc (For Health & Safety reasons)
Check your donations against the checklist before donating
We are extremely grateful to all of our donors for donating to our shop. However in order to keep costs of disposal down, if an item is deemed unsuitable for donation, we may refuse. Please do not take offence to this. Thank you for your support.
Charity Shop Volunteering
Volunteers who work in our shops are always welcome and training will be provided. If you are interested please contact Shop Manager Kate Bennett on 051 311155.